Tuesday 23 October 2012

Book Cover Design

I popped into Waterstones book shop today to look at book cover designs and layout. I made the conscious decision not to look specifically at design books, but at books in general as I thought it's not only the books with design content that look effective.



I found some really thoughtful design which use print processes and experiment with type, layout and colour. I particularly liked the portrait book with landscape type. The use of different stock surfaces on the fashion publication also inspired me greatly, I think the close contrast of these stocks allows you to appreciate what one has to offer in comparison to the other (the matte bookrum against the gloss coated stock)

This has offered me inspiration for my sustainability brief as well as the Penguin book cover brief, which I am hoping to tackle as an additional brief.